Linux Hosting Plan – Essential Ingredients
Any website mainly comprises the following – Domain name, Web space, WebPages. After getting the Domain Name the next step is to check for a good hosting service provider to have one’s own files uploaded in the domain. The following are the important features one must consider while selecting a Linux Based Hosting Plan.
1. Control Panel – This is the most important feature that is mainly required if one wants to maintain his/her website by own. With Control Panel, popularly known as CP, one can do anything means any sort of modification. The moment one signs up for a Hosting Pack, he/she must be immediately provided a control panel for managing the web space.
2. POP3 email Ids & Aliases – One must be provided with plentiful of POP3 email ids and it depends on the Package size as well.
3. FTP Accounts & Virtual FTP – This is the place where one can make any modifications like uploading of files, deletion, updating etc. This is again provided along with the control panel. One must be sure that he/she must have plenty of FTP sub-accounts also to provide his/her clients/users password protected directories. This is the most important feature wherein the clients / users can use the FTP to upload /download files from particular password protected folder of one’s website.
4. Backup – This the feature which is mostly overlooked by the users but is quite important .One must check if the Hosts take Automated Backups.
5. Web Statistics -Visitors plays a key role in the success of one’s website. One must review the report using Statistics Application that run in the server backend in order to see the number of visits each day so as to take proper action.
6. Bandwidth -One must choose the Hosting Plan that offers sufficient Bandwidth for one’s website. As it is not possible to judge the exact requirement in the beginning, still there is facility to deduct the bandwidth required with the passage of time.
7. PHP & Mysql Support – All the Linux Plans support PHP & Mysql. One must make sure that he/she must get this free of cost along with the hosting plan. There are some Hosting Providers that charges extra for MYSQL Database Support & PhpMyAdmin therefore one must check this is advance.
8. Web mail & SMTP – Email forms a most important part in launching the website. One must check if the Hosts provide with WEBMAIL in order to check mails through a web based interface using Squirrelmail or Horde. Corporate Users mostly prefer downloading mails through Email Clients such as Eudora or Outlook Express. One can avail this option only if SMTP or IMAP support is enabled. Therefore one must check in advance if SMTP support is provided or not.
9. SPAM ASSASIN – This is the most important component as no email user is free from a Spam attack. Therefore one must ask for Spam Filters installed on the server where his/her website resides.
10. IP – Dedicated IP is required if one’s website prefers SSL Support (https://) with a passage of time. Most of the websites are hosted on shared IPs.One must ask his/her Hosting Provider for the extra charges involved in getting a dedicated IP and SSL Support. There is important to note that for SSL (https://), one needs to buy a Digital Certificate.
Thus the above were 10 most important ingredients that one must consider while choosing a Linux based hosting plan.