Tools for the Task
For clarification, here are all the tools I used in the making of this theme:
- A text editor like jEdit for hardcoding
- Photoshop CS3
- WordPress 2.5
- Color Schemer Studio
- Firefox + Web Developer Extension (for Local Validation)
- NetRenderer (to see how your theme looks across browsers)
You don’t have to use the same tools, those are just the ones I use in my workflow.
It’s important to remember these three things as well:
- Take your time. If this is your first attempt at a wordpress theme, you’ll make a lot of mistakes. Just learn from them, the first time is never the best.
- Use W3schools.com religiously! Why do people validate code, to maximize the exposure of their work. Learning to validate as you go will improve the quality of the work you produce and eventually make you faster.
- Ask a lot of questions. If you get stuck please feel free to come back to this column and post questions as comments. Alternatively you can e-mail me at jongos [at] gmail to seek out additional advice but since I like to make information public, if you email me privately your questions may be posted here to help others.